Monday, September 27, 2010

"Get Out Of My Head" TWITTER= Tech Telepathy

Twitter is just the beginning!  We are pushing forward into the realms of sci-fi and we have only ourselves to blame.  Is this evolution or just fate?

I can only imagine what the kids three generations from now will say and or think about our current media craze Twitter.  Of course to call it a craze might seem shortsighted and naive, but this whole deluge of instant information is becoming a little hysterical.  All be it that I am a newbie to the tweet scene, I still have not found the solid and relevant foundations for which to proclaim my allegiance to the little blue birdy.



Personally I really don't care whats going on in your head and I don't need a constant 140 character updates filling me in on the important topic of the hour.  With that said I can be honest and admit that two years ago I believed Facebook completely irrelevant. Where it is now I utilize Facebook for particular communications between peers, close friends and local communities.  I would be extremely bored and never know where the party was happening if it were not for the connections that I maintain on Facebook.

As stated on More Intelligent Life's Blog about the relevance of Twitter, "Unlike Facebook, which has become a 21st-century necessity, Twitter is less about defining identity than it is about managing the creation of communities and the flow of information."  This is where I foresee the importance of Twitter.  As an aggregate of information Twitter makes sense and there by becomes a resource instead of a time thief.  My personal twitter usage is not on par with this ideal but with time these possibilities become rational.

I do not believe that Twitter is the be all end all of micro blogging, in fact I believe it is destined to change.  As stated in the Time article  How Twitter Will Change the Way We Live written by Steve Johnson, "Social networks are notoriously vulnerable to the fickle tastes of teens and 20-somethings (remember Friendster?), so it's entirely possible that three or four years from now, we'll have moved on to some Twitter successor. But the key elements of the Twitter platform — the follower structure, link-sharing, real-time searching — will persevere regardless of Twitter's fortunes, just as Web conventions like links, posts and feeds have endured over the past decade. In fact, every major channel of information will be Twitterfied in one way or another in the coming years."  I do buy into this prediction.  Twitter has changed the way the game is played and will inevitably affect the future of information dissemination.



No comments:

Post a Comment